Sunday, August 8, 2010

All In a Day

So have you ever heard the joke about the two blonds that couldn't figure out how to open the office door? Well let me tell you about it...
Tonight the kids were in the office watching a Curious George when all of a sudden I heard Elias crying. I was on the phone with my family but I walked over and tried to open the office door. Well the door wouldn't open so Abby told Elena to unlock the door when she finished the show. I continued talking on the phone until I heard Elena crying. Abby tried getting Elena to unlock the door but she wouldn't touch it; I got off the phone with my family and came over to try and help out with the situation...
Both the kids were in the office crying because they were locked in and we had no keys. Abby and I both tried (unsuccessfully) our own techniques at opening the "locked" door
I tried the good old bobby pin trick...
 While Abby tried the credit card tactic... As you can tell she was quite the distressed mother
 Unfortunately, none of our techniques were working and Elena, being the drama queen that she is, was still crying thinking that she would be locked in the office forever. Finally I looked at the top of the door and noticed that it wasn't shut all the way. At that point I said, "Um Abby is the door even locked?" She gave the door a good shove and sure enough, it popped right open! We spent a good ten minutes trying to get the door unlocked and when she finally shoved it open I think we laughed for another ten minutes.
My hair may look black but don't be fooled- my parents dyed it from blond to black when I was a child.
 It has been quite the interesting day... 
You know how in movies the girls always jump up on chairs when they see a mouse? Well I've always laughed at that until tonight...
We walked into the kitchen to grab a snack a few hours ago when I saw something scampering across the floor. I screamed and jumped on a bench faster than anything! Well since Sam is gone we decided we should try our hand at catching the mouse so we each grabbed a broom and situated ourselves; I sat on the counter and Abby stood on the bench; we also got a laundry basket and put it in the door so the mouse couldn't escape that way. We managed (after much screaming) to get the mouse in the laundry basket only for it to run back out. As you can tell, we managed to create quite a mess trying to catch the nasty little thing
Unfortunately, we never did see the mouse again but Abby still wanted a snack so while she was getting some corn flakes I waited on the counter when the broom fell to the ground. We both screamed again and when I turned around I saw Abby with her feet on the counter; it was so funny! I don't know how she got up there that quick but I guess her adrenaline kicked in! 
Anyway, I may be able to kill a spider with no problem but a mouse is a different story! I was so scared that it was going to run over my feet and I still shiver when I think about seeing it run across the floor. I think its just because they can run so fast. 
When it comes to mice, I am definitely a scaredy cat!!!
Today was my last Sunday here; I have had such a wonderful time and I'm sad its almost over :-( 
Elena and I did get matching skirts made...

It has been quite an unforgettable day! Too bad Sam had to leave town today and miss out on all the fun. Although, it would have been wonderful to have him here to kill the mouse!
I hope you all have had a wonderful mouse free day!

7 comments:

  1. You are too funny Ab! I can't believe how fast the time has gone. I'm looking forward to hearing your stories and seeing your pictures. You've been missed!
    Hello and hugs to all the Sanderlins!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Abby that reminds me of the mouse at my school. :) Someone yelled mouse and everyone jumped up on their salon chairs. It was so funny! I have a HUGE surprise for you when you come back! You are going to be so excited! Actually I have a few surprises.... :) Hurry and come back! I miss you!

    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shannon and Tabitha--you're funny and we miss you. But, I'm so glad you were able to go and help and I wish you could stay longer--and be here at the same time! I love your matching skirts--you'll have to wear it to church sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, funny! Bats are worse, though (there is a story ). Victoria was calling for you the other day in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Shannon! I've missed everyone as well but I've been having a wonderful time here!
    Tab, I can't wait for my surprises and I actually thought of the "mouse" at McDonalds that one day ;-) Miss you too!
    Mrs. Weadock, thanks! I will have to wear my skirt sometime... I think I'm going to wear it home because its so comfy! And I also wish I could be in both places at once.
    Cindy, I want to hear your bat story sometime. Please tell Victoria I will be in the basement next week... I miss her so much! I hope she hasn't forgotten me completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HILARIOUS happenings! I love all the pics:) Keep 'em comin'...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Abby - that is priceless! I haven't laughed that much in a while:) Elena got that fear of claustrophobia from her maternal grandma- ME!!! Good thing I wasn't there 'cuz I would've been crying even on the outside of the door...The mouse escapade is priceless - love the detail - I can envision it all. Africa will not be the same without you, Abz..thanks for the stories.

    Love,
    Aunt Peggy

    ReplyDelete